WELCOME TO THE LAND OF STEELBAND, CALYPSO AND LIMBO
TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
Go back home
Go to my pictures
Go to my education
Go to me
Trinidad is my land and I am proud to be a Trinidadian. Now a little history.
We are the most southerly island of teh eastern Caribbean. We were colonized
by all teh great powers there eever were it seems: the Dutch, Spanish, French,
Portuguese, and of course how can we forget the English. The Americans tried
but we were not having that.
We gained our independence on August 31, 1962 and became the Republic
of Trinidad and Tobago on September 24, 1976. Out first prime minister is
hailed as the "Father of the Nation" for obvious reasons- he brought us
out of colonization and into statehood. He is the honorable Dr.
Eric Williams (Yes indeed, the author of Capitalism and Slavery).
We are one of the most cosmopolitan countries in the regioon because our
population comprises nationals of African, Indian, Chinese, Syrian, native
Indian, Caucasian descent. This is a result of the slave trade, colonization
and indentured laborers after the abolition of slavery.
Some things I am sure you didn't know
- We are the smallest country in the World Cup in Germany 2006
- We have an Olympic gold medallist in the 100m dash-Hasely Crawford
- We have a Miss Universe- Miss Penny Commissiong
- We have another Miss Universe-Miss Wendy Fitzwilliam
- We have a Miss World-Miss Janelle La Ronde
- We have the No.1 batsman in the world and world record holder- Brian
- We have former Manchester United striker-Dwight Yorke
- The International Criminal Court (ICC) was initiated by our then
prime minister and former president-the Honorable Dr. A.N.R. Robinson
Go back to top